During the operation of the Burra Mine the townships relied on the water pumped from the mine that kept the Burra creek flowing. When the Burra Mine closed in 1877 this water was no longer available.
In 1878 a 4 inch main was laid from the Aberdeen Waterworks (Bon Accord Mine) down Morehead Street to a public trough and standpipe. Five private residences in Aberdeen were also connected.
The first Burra Pumping Station for the supply of water to the Township of Kooringa was constructed on the Bon Accord Mine site in 1884. It was run by the Burra Corporation until pumping operations ceased there in 1908. The pumping machinery was then shifted to its present site, over the Engine Shaft, where it continued operating until 1966. Pumping from this site ceased when Burra was supplied with water from the Morgan-Whyalla Pipeline, which was completed in 1967.
Image courtesy of the Ian Auhl Collection
The village pump, stand-pipe and horse trough, 1914.
A 300 foot bore was put down in the centre of Market Square in 1879 and water rose to within 18 feet of the surface. The cool water from the bore was in great demand on a hot summer's night.
Ian Auhl goes on to say:
In the year 1879,shortly after the stoppage of the Burra Mine, residents were much concernedabout the needs of a water supply for the town, and several schemes werediscussed, including the extension of the Aberdeen supply, which was at thetime fed from the railway station.
Eventually, however, an artisan supply wasthought of and meetings were called and the question threshed out from allsources. At last it was decided to make an effort to secure a supply by boring,and the centre of the Market Square was the place selected.
Public subscriptionswere asked for and came in splendidly, and towards the middle of the year 1879a contract was let to Messrs. Francis, Clark & Son of Adelaide to put down abore.
The work was started under the supervision of the Town Council. Anexpert at the Business (named Jolly) was in charge. Work continued underdifficulties for some time, until a depth of 200 feet was attained, when onaccount of the sharp dip in the solid hard limestone rock, the bore hole "ran"away and the tools became jammed, and notwithstanding all the efforts put fortheventually broke away and could not be moved.
The contractors applied to thecouncil for permission to try a new site, but this was not done, and at acouncil meeting held on March 14, 1881, after nearly two year's work, it wasreported by the mayor that it had been mutually agreed between the contractorand himself on behalf of the town that it was undesirable to proceed.
It wasat that meeting resolved that the work be atopped, and at a depth of 222 feetthe geat was removed.
The water which proved good for domestic purposes roseto within 18 feet of the surface. A test was made with a powerful pump, butthe supply could not be reduced below this level, and in December of the sameyear (1881) the pump and troughs were erected by Messrs. Francis, Clark & Sonand have proved a boon to the town and district ever since, and proves asgreat a benefit today as ever it was.
XXXXV, 28, 11 July 1923, page 3
Burra Town Council
Messrs T. Woollacott and J.E. Pearce were granted permission to erect the power house for the Burra Electric Supply Co. Water will be laid on from the town supply to the water trough in Market Square, as the pump is hard to work.